Monday, April 13, 2015

Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins

Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins
Published September 29, 2011

Review:
Lola and the Boy Next Door is one of those poignant and entertaining books.  The feels in this book was real – at least I thought so.  I read the previous book so long ago that I was worried that it might affect me in this book but I’m glad it didn’t.  This book can definitely be a stand-alone despite being in a series but the couple in the first book certainly showed up quite a number of times so I would still recommend reading the first book but it’s totally not necessary.

Lola was a great character to read about.  Despite her obviously flamboyant looks, she was a great kid who loved her gay parents and she was good.  She was your typical teenager with some rebellious streaks such as dating a much older rock star boyfriend but she still respected her parent’s restrictions on her (with some complaints, of course) and I don’t know, I just really liked her.  She was funny, entertaining, ambitious and relatable.  She knew what she wanted from life and that was to be in the fashion industry and making extravagant clothes – which she wore on a daily basis.  Honestly, I would love to have a friend like that just so I can stand in the presence of a creative goddess who is also funny and nice. The one thing that bothered me was how blind she was to her asshole boyfriend and to Cricket’s obvious adoration for her.  I thought it was pretty obvious – maybe not from the beginning because it seemed as if her boyfriend was trying hard for her sake but there were a lot of little incidences such as treating Lola’s best friends as dirt and telling her that he was putting up with a lot just for her.  If you really loved someone, you wouldn’t feel that way, I think.  Thankfully, she saw the light at the end and learned a lot from life.

Cricket, Lola’s next door neighbor and her past love of her life, just oozed charm and love for Lola.  He was quirky, romantic and caring.  It was obvious that he really looked out for Lola despite the fact she had a boyfriend and what had happened to them years ago.  He always put her first in his mind and she is absolutely lucky to have someone like that.  The romance between the two was so warm and satisfying.  It was like drinking hot chocolate and looking out the window during a snow storm.  It was just that satisfying.  I can’t stress that enough.

I also liked how even though this is mostly a chick lit novel, there were the realities and complications of life that also wormed its way into this book.  Lola had to deal with her screwed-up biological mother and had to come to terms with her.  She really matured in this novel even though this is a very light read. She went not understanding love to really understanding it and she was able to forgive and accept her mother.


Overall, really great book.  I’m so ready to pick up the last book and hopefully I will be able to see some cameos of both Lola and Cricket and Anna and St. Clair.  Too cute.

Rating:

2 comments:

  1. everyone who read this book say good things about it, I think I'll have to read it too
    nice job
    whatsnext.wix.com/whatsnexten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! Definitely check it out. And if you have time, check out the first and the last book of this "series" - they're all worth reading

      Delete

Holed Up In A Book © 2015