Thursday, April 30, 2015

Guy in Real Life by Steve Brezenoff

Guy in Real Life by Steve Brezenoff
Published May 27, 2014

Review:
Guy in Real Life was this month’s pick for my book club and I honestly was not too excited to read it.  This was mainly because this is usually not the type of book I would pick for myself but nonetheless, I picked it up and was quite surprised by it.  The story went by quickly and I finished it within a day which shocked me because, again, for these types of books, I tend to spend a very long time on them.  Guy in Real Life; however, was able to capture my attention rather quickly which I liked a lot.

Lesh and Svetlana were interesting.  Lesh was the emo/goth boy who I did not really relate with because I was never gothic nor emo nor did I had any friends who fell into those categories and when he started to get into MMO and RPGs, I was even more lost because I never played any of those things before.  Svetlana, aka Lana, was a little more relatable.  She was considered as a hippy (which I am not at all) but she was also outspoken, liked to stay home, read and sew which I also like to do as well.  Obviously, I like to read and I used to enjoy sewing so at least there were some similarities there.  This was probably why I enjoyed her POVs rather than Lesh.  However, she liked to play this game called tabletop?  Not completely sure but that was one thing that I did not really relate to her.  I don’t play any of these games – RPG/MMO/tabletop and I feel like that was something I should have known coming into this book because they played a huge part in the plot.

The one thing I didn’t really get nor wanted was the POV from Lesh’s MMO/RPG game.  There was absolutely no reason really to have multiple chapters based on his two characters in a game.  I get that they had a small part to play but at the same time, it was completely unnecessary.  What I did enjoy though was the element of surprise – because I didn’t know anything about anything apparently, I did not know what to expect from Lesh or Svetlana or Lesh’s characters.  Everything was unexpected and when things happened, I was like ohhh okay.

The ending of the book was both satisfying and disappointing.  There was none of that finite feel to it and it didn’t really feel as if there were a lot of things going on throughout the book.  It was somewhat a very bland book.  However, at the same time, there were character developments and it is considered as a coming-of-age book where both characters grew up and changed for the better.

Overall, Guy in Real Life was enjoyable and the author, Steve, did a tremendous job in getting me quickly engaged in a book that didn’t have as much action as it could have had.  The gaming aspects were certainly interesting but completely not relatable to me whatsoever.  There were definitely a few plot holes that were ambiguous but at the end of the day, it was still a refreshing read.

Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Holed Up In A Book © 2015